Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter Traditions (Part 2)

Well Easter is over for another year and I think we really established some important traditions for future Easters.

The Hot Cross Buns were a hit (see previous post) and very much enjoyed.

On Good Friday this year I chose to make our own Fish and Chips. I was brought up with the tradition of no meat on Good Friday and it is one I have always kept with. There were a few reasons for making my own: cost, healthier option and I couldn't be bothered waiting for 1-2 hours for the fish and chip shop.

Fish & Chips with the last of the tomatoes from the garden.
Before bedtime on Good Friday we made Resurrection Biscuits. Basically they are just a meringue but as you make them all the ingredients represent an important part of the Easter story which we talked about while we were making them.

Biscuits all ready to go in the oven.

You then put them in the preheated oven, tape it up, turn it off and then leave until Easter Sunday. It represents the tomb and how Jesus' disciples had to wait and that they were sad between Friday and Sunday. (It's a bit hard to see the white masking tape on the white oven but I'm sure you get the idea)


Oven all taped up from Friday to Sunday.

Then, on Easter Sunday you can open the "tomb" and crack open the meringues!!


He is risen!!
Overall, we had a lovely Easter with lots of focus on the story of Easter. I was very impressed with his understanding and willingness to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment