Thursday, April 5, 2012

Easter Traditions (Part 1)

With B almost 4 now I thought it was a really good time to start establishing some Easter traditions in our family.

I always make my own Hot Cross Buns every Easter and I usually don't have make or eat any until Easter week. I think that is a fairly good achievement as they appear in the supermarkets in January now! I have previously made these on my own after B has gone to bed but this year I decided that we could do it together. Cooking is one of B's favourite activities and it is something we really enjoy doing together.


Kneading the dough.

 

He may have overkneaded the dough but it is one of the things I have learnt to let go of.


Rolling the dough into balls.
 We enjoyed one for afternoon tea today but there are plenty left for breakfast tomorrow. As I was putting the crosses on the buns I asked B why I was putting them on. His reponse: "Because Jesus ate them!" Well I suppose it's nice to know that he knows the connection between the food and Good Friday but I think I still have a bit of work to do!


In the oven.
 
All done!!




A church that I attended many years ago used to have a Haggadah feast on Maundy Thursday which was a ceremony based on a Passover meal. At this we were served lamb and potatoes. I decided that we could have our own type of Passover meal tonight. I cooked to a Middle Eastern theme tonight - Morrocan lamb, Morrocan roast vegetables, flat bread and hommus. Before we ate dinner I read the story of the Last Supper from B's Children's Bible and then we enjoyed our meal together. I then did a happy dance as he ate his pumpkin without any prompting!!!!


Children's Bible



Middle Eastern meal

There are a few other things I'm planning to make over the weekend so that is why I have named this Part 1. I have really enjoyed making new traditions for Easter and keeping the focus on Jesus.

Do you have any traditions in your family? I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment