Friday, January 27, 2012

Taking Care of Me

Over the last couple of years I have not put a high enough priority on looking after myself. Raising a toddler on your own is very demanding and it's easy to put your own needs last. It's very easy to make excuses but if I don't look after myself who will?

There are a number of ways that I have ignored my own needs but I'm looking foward to improving in this area. I have not taken care of my physical appearance or nutured my spirit.

I moved house about 15 months ago and have struggled to find a new hairdresser. I have finally found one that charges a reasonable price for a haircut. My hair grows quickly and goes from looking alright to needing a haircut overnight (or so it seems)! It has then ended up with me needing a haircut for weeks before I get around to it and me feeling awful until then. Now that I have finally found a good hairdresser things WILL be better. I got a cut this week and then booked in for my next appointment while I was there. As I now have an appointment it is scheduled and I can't say that I don't have the time or money (or both) this week. It will happen.

I also have not coloured my hair lately. My hair is a mousey brown colour and I used to get it coloured and then highlights put in. I now can no longer justify the expense or the time it takes. A 3.5 year old is occupied in the hairdressers for the time it takes to get a haircut but throw in a colour and you are just asking for disaster. Instead this week I purchased a colour kit to do at home. I did it on a day when the little fellow was at kinder and felt so much better.

I'm trying to institute a bit more of a beauty regime as well to look after my skin and body. It makes me feel better and can perk me up when I am feeling crap.

I'm also doing a lot more reading and crafting which are activities I really enjoy. (I'll do a whole other post on crafting!)

I also need to spend some time with God. I do pray often during the course of the day, however, I have not spent enough time just being or reading with God. This is another area in which I MUST improve.

These are all simple and reasonably cheap things I can do but should provide a huge benefit (I hope) on my self-esteem. Looking after myself is important for a number of reasons. First it makes me feel better about myself. In addition, me taking care of myself teaches my son that it is important to take care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment