Saturday, January 21, 2012

Homemade Take-Away

Well tonight being Saturday I often don't like to put a huge effort into dinner. I have, however, come up with a few standby "take-away" meals.

There are a number of reasons for this. One is the cost of take-away food - it can cost nearly $20 for just the two of us. The second is I do like to know what is in my food. In addition, my son, B has a kidney/urinary condition. It is in no way serious and does not affect him at all on a daily basis, however, I am quite careful with his diet particulary in regards to his salt intake.

Our homemade list of take-away meals includes the following:

- fish and chips - chips made in the oven and the fish only shallow fried and then usually served with salad. Don't know about you but when I get take-away fish and chips I don't tend to serve a salad with it (I know - naughty)
- pizza - I make the dough in the breadmaker which is really easy. I can also make a wholemeal/white flour mix to make it a little healthier. Also as toddlers can be quite fussy but pizza is a great favourite you can put things on the pizza that will be eaten that would have no chance otherwise!
- chicken nuggets - I just cut up a chicken breast into nugget shapes then make up a breadcrumb mixture with garlic, lemon rind, parsley and pepper. These don't take any longer to make than it does to cook packaged ones in the oven.

And then tonight's dinner: tacos! I must admit I used a packaged seasoning mix but will be making my own in future. We also had salad and refried beans. The refried beans were homemade baked beans that I just pureed and they were really nice. Like pizza, food sneaks on that isn't normally eaten. Tonight B ate lettuce which he normally won't touch!


I will say that I am not perfect. We do sometimes get take-away food but it is a very rare thing as I find it cheaper to eat homemade food and the time isn't that much greater.

Well that's my musings for today. I've got lots of other things planned to say here but don't want to overload it too soon, hehe!!

2 comments:

  1. I like your chicken nugget idea. I might try that one. Marion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marion, I must admit the nuggets are stolen from Jamie Oliver: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/crunchy-garlic-chicken

    I don't use butter and use breadcrumbs rather than crackers but otherwise it's fairly similar.

    ReplyDelete