Thursday, January 3, 2013

Keeping CHRISTmas.

A bit behind on the posting. I did mean to have this done before Christmas but got caught up with all the other things that needed to be done. It really can be an insane time of year. The lead up to Christmas with lots of tired, hot and grumpy people around. The end of the school year with lots of tired, hot and grumpy people and kids around. In the past I have tended to just roll with it as best I could and know that come Boxing Day can just collapse in a heap and watch the cricket.

Since B's arrival I have found my priorities have changed. I have always observed the CHRISTmas part of Christmas but my desire to focus on the real meaning of Christmas has increased. In previous years I have been able to keep the focus on Jesus really well, however, this year it has been a challenge. At kinder they went hard and early with Christmas stuff which really just revolved totally around Santa, Santa and more Santa. It has been a real struggle to counteract that, keep the focus on Jesus and not build any expectations in him about Santa.

We have a few traditions for Christmas.

One is to go to Target to purchase a gift for charity. I choose Target's program as it is linked to the Uniting Church. We have gone every year and B chooses a toy for a boy his age. So this year he chose 2 "Cars" toys. We usually do it in early December before the shops get too crazy. He was really sad that there are some children who would not get any presents for Christmas and was really keen to buy them presents. In fact, anytime we walked past Target in December he wanted to go in and buy another toy for another child!


Our Gingerbread


Christmas Tree cakes - red velvet cupcake with a strawberry on top covered with icing

We also make homemade gifts to give to friends and people that help B (child care staff, swimming teacher, etc). As he loves cooking we make gingerbread in Christmas shapes. We package them up in either a coffee cup or on a plate. He loves handing them out to everyone. We also made Christmas Tree cakes this year as well.

We have quite a few nativity sets around the house as well. I got a Fisher Price one which has been good as it is child friendly. This year I was able to put the more precious one out within his reach as well. He has loved interacting with the figures and moving them around and arranging them. At one stage Mary was riding to Bethlehem on a sheep!!

One day I was talking to a friend on the phone and she said that her daughter was dressing up as Mary. I told B and said he could put his Joseph costume on. I picked this up a couple of years ago post Christmas when the shops were clearing out their Christmas things. He thought that was a great idea and his stuffed dog then became baby Jesus and was wrapped in blankets. Then he got a box that we had lying around became the manger for baby Jesus. For the week before Christmas he went to a number of places in his Joseph costume carrying his manger.

Joseph with Baby Jesus


I also got a book called "The Legend of Saint Nicholas". It was really good to give an explanation of where the Santa tradition came from and that spirit of giving to others. Apparently there are other books in the series and I am looking forward to getting them for next Christmas.

I have wanted to make a Jesse tree. Unfortunately I didn't get around to it this Christmas but it is high on my list to make this year for next Christmas.


Our Christmas tree decorated by B and one of our nativity sets

I would love to hear of any traditions you have for Christmas, particularly how to keep the focus on Jesus and not the commercial side.





No comments:

Post a Comment