Thursday, January 24, 2013

January Organisation (Part 3)

Before I post my continuing progress here is a photo of what I have donated to the op shop this week.



Day 17:  Condiments in Fridge. I put this one off for a couple of days as I got a new fridge (yay me!) so decided to do the clean up whilst transferring things from the old fridge to the new one. I only had to get rid of 2 jars that were expired and they all fit nicely onto the fridge door. It was interesting because before Peter posted this challenge I was going to buy containers to put on the shelves to keep the condiments together and organised. I really like his idea of containing them to the door instead - nice and easy to see what I've got and encourages me to use them regularly.

Day 18:  Under the Sink.  Just tidied things up here and got rid of a few things that were left behind by the previous tenant (after 2.5 years he's not wanting them back). Moved some things that were just lying loose around the laundry that really belonged there as well. Also gave it a really good clean too.

Day 19:  Magazines. I went through all my magazines prior to my garage sale last year. I had three boxes of magazines which I have been trying to sell for the last few months purely because I was hyperventilating at the thought of all the money I had spent on them and would have liked to get back at least a little of it. However, it has been a few months and I was not able to sell them so I just bit the bullet and donated them to the op shop.

Day 20:  Flat surface. Again, this is another one I put off as the one I wanted to tackle was the kitchen benches but I have to wait for my old fridge to go so that I could rearrange the kitchen. This will happen over the weekend so can't wait to get stuck into it.

Day 21:  Kid's toys. Peter's challenge was to get rid of all toys that are not age appropriate. I suppose I am lucky because I only have one child and not having any more so I don't have to hold to toys for other children. I keep a box in my room for B to put toys he doesn't want anymore to donate and he is pretty good at putting things in there. We usually have a conscious toy purge prior to birthday and Christmas to make room for what may come. Also, now that he is getting pocket money and buying some toys himself I am going to institute the "one in, one out" rule so that if he buys something another toy has to go.

Day 22:  Medicine Cabinet. I don't really have a medicine cabinet so I used this time to clean out the bathroom cupboards. I threw out a lot of creams, lotions, etc that I have had for way too long and haven't used.

Day 23: Pots, Pans and Appliances. Another area that is fairly well organised as I cook a lot and only have a limited amount of cupboard space so don't any appliances that I don't use. I did take the opportunity to go through the utensil drawer and cleared things out of there that I don't use or have duplicates of. Because who needs more than one apple corer or melon baller?

So another great week of organising, cleaning and purging. And there is now only a bit over a week to go. This challenge has been great to achieve lots in a minimum of 10 minutes a day and then to also give me the impetus to move forward throughout the year. I'm really looking forward to living with less clutter around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment