Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I'm in Love!

Yes I am in love........with my whitegoods!

I had a small fridge/freezer which was great before B was born. However, I now eat at home more often, take a lot more care with my food these days and don't want to shop with a 5 year old too often (I know, crazy!). So the fridge/freezer I had has been too small for a long time. Earlier in the year I purchased a new fridge and just recently got a new freezer as well. And I am soooo happy!!!

I am getting so much use out of the freezer. In addition to storing meat, bread and frozen veggies I keep it full of other goodies. Some of the things are:

1.  Extra meals. I often make larger meals and freeze the left overs to have on days where we are super busy or I just can't be bothered cooking. It's lovely having the extra space to store a variety of meals.

2.  Stock. I have also started making my own stock. A couple of reasons for this. One, it tastes so much better and two, I know what is in it and that there are no nasties.

3.  Beans. Rather than having tinned beans/chick peas I have started cooking my own and freezing them in individual portions ready to go.

4.  Rice. This one was following a suggestion from a friend. Usually I am just fine with some meat and veggies, however, B needs a bit of carbohydrates with his dinner. I just cook a bit of extra rice and freeze in small portions for him.

5.  Ice cream. I have an ice cream maker and enjoy making my own ice cream. Again, I freeze it in small portions so that you can serve a lot easier rather than waiting for a big container to get soft enough.

6.  Soups. Good for lunches during winter and also depending on the type even sometimes for dinner.

7.  Cooked meats. I really don't like the amount of chemicals, salt, etc. in processed meats so I have been starting to do my own. I just steam a couple of chicken breasts, break them up when they are cool and freeze them in individual portions for sandwiches, salads, etc.



New Fridge!
I am planning to start making a few sweet treats as well to store in the freezer. This will be particularly helpful for next year when I go back to work and B starts school.   
 
New Freezer!
I would love to hear any other ideas of things I can pop in the freezer to save time or money or just so I can keep working on having as little processed food as possible. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment