Sunday, June 2, 2013

My needles have been flying!!

I have been really getting back into knitting lately. I have made a couple of things over the last few years but not a lot. There has even been a couple of things started and not finished!

It's been really nice to sit on the couch after B has gone to bed and relax with a bit of knitting whilst watching TV. I have also been doing a little bit while B eats his dinner. We eat together but some nights he is really slow and he has dessert which I don't so I've been getting some done then. I also take it with me when B has his swimming and roller skating lessons and knit while I'm watching him. So there has been quite a few opportunities to get a lot done.

I have made B a couple of jumpers other years, however, he didn't really wear them a lot. He doesn't really feel the cold that much and jumpers are too warm for him. For that reason (and also because they are quicker too) I have been making vests.


 
So I started making this vest for B and was really enjoying the way the wool knitted up so I decided to make myself a beanie as well. When I mentioned this B said he wanted one too. We went back to the wool shop and got all the remaining balls of this colour. Luckily I have a really good wool shop just around the corner where all the ladies know B by name - not me just him! So we now have matching beanies!! (A bit tragic I know). There was a small amount left so I also knitted myself a pair of fingerless gloves. Unfortunately there wasn't quite enough so I just used another wool to do a cuff.
 
 
 
The vest on the right is another I have just completed for B. The pattern is easy and knits up very quickly. They really are good for him as they keep him nice and warm but don't overheat like a jumper would.
 
On the left is a vest I have started knitting for myself. I have been so pleased with my other efforts that I thought I needed to knit for me as well. I have nearly finished the back so should hopefully get this finished in the next couple of weeks.
 
 
 
After I made my fingerless gloves B asked for a pair and decided he wanted a Cats pair as he barracks for Geelong. Again they were nice and quick to do (about an hour or so). However, note to self white is not a good colour to use for gloves for a 4 year old boy!!
 
The fingerless gloves are really simple. They don't have a separate bit for the thumb. I thought that would be a bit tricky and I wanted some to do really quickly. You just knit a rectangle and sew them up leaving an opening for the thumb. For these I used 3.75mm needles. For mine I cast on 42 stitches and knitted a 3x3 rib (K3, P3) to the length desired. For B's I only cast on 36 stitches but did the same rib. I then knitted 6 rows in each colour to give the Geelong stripes.
 
I have been really enjoying this creating lately. It's nice that it has the dual purpose of being creative and giving both of us items of clothing. Watch this space for more creative endeavours!!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment